Passports can only be renewed if ALL 3 of these conditions are met:
- previous passport was issued when you were age 16 or over, AND
- the passport is still in your possession and undamaged, AND
- the passport was issued less than 15 years ago
In order to apply and receive a United States passport you must follow the instructions as outlined below. To make the process easier to complete we suggest you print this page and follow the steps in the order presented.
1. Your Most Recent Passport - If the passport is still valid, make sure that it is in the last year of its validity, and if it is already expired then make sure that the expiration date is within the past five years and that you were at least 16 when it was issued.
2. Application Form DS-82 - Fax or photocopies are not acceptable.
Complete but do NOT sign the form until you are in front of an Acceptance Agent.
The only source of correct form with two barcodes on top is US Department of State site. To create form DS-82 follow the link: https://pptform.state.gov/
3. Two Passport Photographs
- Passport Photograph Regulations
4. Evidence of Immediate Travel - Must provide a copy of 1 of the following:
- Round trip ticket indicating travel to a foreign country
- Travel Itinerary
- Business traveler’s may submit a business letter if the above is not available
5. Fees - Government and Travel Visa Express fees are paid in separate checks:
- $170 Government fees. You will write a check to "U.S. Department of State" for $170 (please write your date of birth on the memo line of the check).
- $159 to Travel Visa Express. Also include payment for the return shipping option you selected (if applicable). If you want to pay by credit card, please download credit card authorization form and send along with all documents.
6. Federal Express Shipping Instructions
- Send all the above mentioned documents + $25 for return FedEx to:
3450 Geary Boulevard suite 105, San Francisco, CA 94118